Friday, August 17, 2012

Sapphire Blue: Kitchen granite

While writing my granite post I realized I had way too much to say about each room to make one post. So I'm going to break down the granite into 3 separate blog post. Now on to the post . .

We were very lucky that granite countertops came standard with our builder. We had large amount of choice when it came to the color and style of our granite even though we were limited to those granites that were on the "cheaper" end. If you do any research on granite prices, you'll quickly realize how widely the price vary based of the type, color, and veins.

We selected three seperate colors of granite. 
Kitchen - Sapphire Blue
Master Bath - Vicenza Brown
Hall Bath - Santa Cecilia
I wrote about our voyage to the granite yard here.

I'll start with the heart of our home, the kitchen. We originally had selected Tan Brown granite at the recommendation of the sales person, our relator and my husbands parents. However, once we got home and started to think about it, I just didn't love the color. I quickly, like the next day, returned to the showroom and ask for granite options in the same "family" as Tan Brown and the sales person recommend Sapphire blue. I loved it immediately.

Picture time! 

First, a few overall shots of the kitchen. 


Now, its granite time.



My favorite thing about the photo above is that you can really see the blue specs in the granite. It's a wonderful light blue color and when far away isn't visible but makes for a stunning color scheme when close.  We were originally a little concerned that the blue would be too predominant and would overtake the kitchen but its a very small but beautiful aspect of the Sapphire Blue granite.

Complaints about this granite are minimum other than to say it does have the tendency to show water marks left from cups and bowls. However, it's a kitchen! I ensure every night after cleaning up from dinner I wipe down the countertops with warm soupy water then clean again with just water and then towel dry. It actually doesn't take near as long as you might think it would. We also purchased some granite cleaner and will probably use it once every week or two to help maintain shine. I don't believe this a problem of just this granite, its a problem with darker granites in general. My husbands parents have Tan Brown granite in their kitchen and they fight the same battle.

Overall rating for style and look has to be an A+. Additionally, if you are living in a home you plan to sell in the years to come I believe this color granite will appeal to many buyers.

Stay tuned for more granite related post! 

3 comments:

  1. I love that light blue specks too. This is what I like about granite countertops. Aside from their charming aesthetics, they are also durable, affordable and sanitary. Plus, they are not too difficult to work with, making them worthwhile DIY projects. =)

    - Robbie Marinero

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that’s really amazing, Briana! Anyone would think it’s brown, but when you take a closer look, you’ll notice the difference like the blue specs. Anyway, I’m glad that you made a good choice; it blends well to the coziness of your kitchen.

    Gabrielle Jeromy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kitchen cabinets are beautiful. What color glaze are they? I'm picking colors tonight!

    ReplyDelete